Ezra would have turned 21 today. Happy birthday, Ephoenix.


Ezra Phoenix Chatterton lost his fight against brain cancer on October 20, 2008. He was 12 years old.Some players might wonder why a certain tauren quest-giver in Mulgore, Ahab Wheathoof, has a different voice from all other male tauren NPCs. In partnership with Make-A-Wish, Ezra spent a day at the Blizzard campus and designed a quest as well as create and provide the tauren voice-acting for Ahab.Merciless Gladiator's Crossbow of the Phoenix is in his honor. This is why that particular item - also immortalized in the WoW:TCG - has special flavor text.Ezra was also the first in the world to own the Ashes of Al'ar, which sadly caused some controversy in the community at the time.He was a sweet boy. After his passing, Blizzard renamed the Elder in Thunder Bluff (a NPC that only spawns during Lunar Festival) to Elder Ezra Wheathoof in his honor; by his side, a Phoenix Hatchling. (Note to Blizz: Why did it take four years of bug reports to get his phoenix pet fixed?)I don't want to tell you that you should do this or that in his memory. If and how is up to you. I just want to remember a boy who I wish had longer on this Earth, and to his family that I haven't forgotten the impact his brief life made on me personally and to the WoW community.Strength and Honor, Ezra.P.S. I do have one request, and it's not going to be an easy one to fulfill. Unfortunately, Ephoenix's Armory page isn't available and hasn't been for some time. I am hoping someone, somewhere, has a screenshot or knows where to find one. (Archive.org is a lost cause, as in many cases Blizzard's website and the Internet Archive bot conflicted with the other.) I want to add it to his Wowpedia article.P.P.S. I feel like I need to add this disclaimer: I'm not doing this for the karma. If you feel that you need to downvote something else of mine in order to balance things out, it won't hurt my feelings.